Information for foreign students
Teaching of geology in the MSU has started since the foundation of the University in 1755. Moscow State University's geological school is well known among specialists not only in Russia but in the world. Nowadays the Faculty numbers 60 professors, 80 associate professors, some 220 researcher. The total staff exceeds 400. About 1200 students of all the courses are trained at the Faculty. Some 100 students of the Faculty came from Mongolia, China, Mexico, Iran and various countries of the FSU. Foreign students enter the Faculty of Geology after 1-year course of Russian language in the Center of International Education of Moscow State University.
Meeting of graduates of Faculty of Geology with Rector of Moscow State University Academician Viktor A. Sadovnichy.
Why it is interesting to study at our Faculty
- Thousands of young people from dozens of countries have graduated from the Faculty of Geology of MSU. Thanks to the education obtained in the MSU, a great number of them have become famous scientists, ministers, heads of large companies and enterprises.
- Our students can become professional geologists, geochemists, geophysicists, ecologists, programmers, skilled computer users, and experts in many fields such as precious gems, gas and oil fields, mineral deposits, earthquakes prediction, economics of mineral resources, etc.
- Master students, post-graduate students, and trainees have an opportunity to study according to individual educational plans and programs.
- Diploma of the Faculty of Geology of MSU is one of the most prestigious in the world.
- Privileges and discounts are provided to honours foreign students.
We offer you fundamental courses in geology as well as special ones. You will not only get deep theoretical knowledge in many areas of modern geology but you will become a highly qualified specialist in practical applications of this knowledge. A number of up-to-date scientific laboratories will be at your service during your studies. We have geological and geophysical summer training camps, the major one is in the Crimea where our students undergo field geological training on the well equipped training ground. Regular marine geological training is organized on the Black and the Baltic seas.
The Faculty offers you to choose between 4 specialities:
- Hydrogeology and Engineering Geology
BSc Honours Degree in Geology
Entrance Requirements: Secondary Education Diploma
Foreign students of Faculty of Geology during their field geological training in the Crimea
From the beginning you will have a wide spectrum of fundamental courses such as Mathematics, Physics, Chemistry, Mechanics, Radioelectronics, Computer Science and, at the same time, a number of special courses. From the third year of studies you will select one between 20 pathways offered:
- Geological Surveying and Prospecting for Mineral Deposits
- Lithology (Sedimentology)
- Geology and Prospecting for Oil and Gas Deposits
- Geology and Prospecting for Coal and Shist Deposits
- Gravity Prospecting
- Electrical Prospecting
- Seismic Prospecting
- Engineering Geology
- Marine geology
- Ecological Geophysics
- Economic Geology
MSc Honours Degree in Geology
Entrance Requirements: BSc Honours Degree in Geology Dilpoma
These two years will be devoted to deepening your knowledge and to improving your practical skills in the chosen pathway. You will have special theoretical courses and much time will be devoted to practical studies.
PhD Honours Degree in Geology
Entrance Requirements: MSc Honours Degree in Geology Diploma
We offer a wide range of courses in Geology for post-graduate and post-experience students:
- General and Regional Geology
- Marine Geology
- Geology, Surveying and Prospecting for Mineral Deposits
- Geochemical Methods of Prospecting for Mineral Deposits
- Geophysical Methods of Prospecting for Mineral Deposits
- Geology, Surveying and Prospecting for Combustible Minerals
- Geology, Surveying and Prospecting for Oil and Gas Deposits
- Mineralogy and Crystallography
Due to high standards of training, effective educational methods, and individual approach to every student graduates of the faculty can easily find a job not only in the field of Geology but also in many others.
What shall you do to enter the Faculty of Geology
- Choose an educational program.
- Fill in an application form and submit it to the Faculty of Geology.
- Sign the educational agreement with the Faculty.
- Receive from the Faculty a written approval of the agreement, an appointment card to a clinic, and a list of necessary documents.
- Receive the admission certificate from the clinic.
- Pass the graduate examination in the Center for International Education (CIE) and receive the graduate certificate.
- Submit all necessary documents to the Faculty according to the list.
- Receive a payment bill and an appointment for staying in the dormitory.
At the Faculty of Geology of MSU, lectures start on September 1.
Address: Moscow, Vorobievy Gory, MSU, the Central Building, the Faculty of Geology, 5 floor, room 503, Foreign Department.
Phone: +7 (095) 939-3409, Fax: +7 (095) 939-8889,